ZÓ storyUse our Hanoi attractions planning app to visit Zo Project on your trip to Hanoi, and learn what else travelers and our writers recommend seeing nearby.
Who we are?
Zó project aims to become a social business to preserve and develop "Dó paper", the traditional paper of Vietnam in a sustainable way. Zó is running under the local NGO, Centre for Community Development of Nam Dinh province (NCCD).
The idea of setting up Zó project come from the passion about handmade paper and craft village of the founder, Ms. Tran Hong Nhung. Together with her collaborators who are having the same vision to preserve the traditions, Zó established in June 2013.
Which social issues we work with?
Dó paper uses an ancient paper making technique appeared in VietNam during the XIII century. Thanks to the unique natural fiber of the Do bark (Rhamnoneuron balansae), Dó paper is renowned for being very very durable, resilient and with a subtly textured surface. Nowadays, in VietNam, the art of creating this beautiful paper has almost been lost as the demand for such a product has diminished. There are only two families left in Bac Ninh who still produce this paper.
- Preserve and develop the ancient technique of paper making, together with the preservation of the Dó material.
- Improve the process of handmade paper making with environment protection.
- Increase the value for Dó paper by creating new products with contemporary design for our daily life.
Who we work with?
- Zó work with the artisan from paper village in Bac Ninh province to preserve the ancient paper making technique in Viet Nam. In the meantimw, Zó would like to cooperate with scientist to assist them for a cleaner production proces wihout pollution.
- Zó work with designers and painter to create the contemporary desgin and to create craft products from handmade paper. By that way, Zó could create value for Dó paper and create more job for society.
- Zó work also with the ecologist and local authorities to make sure that the traditional village would develop without destroying the natural plants in the forest.
Our product and services
- Design and make products from handmade papers and other traditional materials.
- Conduct research for preservation and development of craft village in sustainable way.
- Collaborate with local and international artist to organise event to get the involvement of the relevant stakeholders.
Zo Project Reviews
I searched Trip Advisor to find creative little shops for unusual, "non-touristy" gifts to bring home from our visit to Hanoi, and was so glad that this was listed. I purchased a number pretty paper.... more »
I came to Zó Project shop twice during my three-day visiting Hanoi. It’s when their new gift shop is still in a transitioning form from the old location by the train track to this new location on a... more »
Amazing work preserving the traditional zó paper. I participated in the earing making workshop and really recommend it.
A wonderful social enterprise that works to preserve the art of traditional paper making. Special shoutout to the bespectacled lady who took time to explain to me how the paper is made. They have daily workshops on bookbinding, earrings making, calligraphy, and they also conduct tours to the village where the artisans are based. Follow them on Facebook for more info!
Plan your trip to Hanoi
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Book itChoose from the best hotels
and activities. Up to 50% off
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Hanoi
Hidden gems in Hanoi
See all ›
Side trips from Hanoi
See all ›
Nearby attractions in Hanoi
Plans to Zo Project by other users
18 days in Vietnam BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA May, culture, relaxing, romantic, beaches, historic sites, shopping, popular sights Preferences: May, culture, relaxing, romantic, beaches, historic sites, shopping Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 2 days in Hanoi BY A USER FROM VIETNAM May, popular sights Preferences: May Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 37 days in Bordeaux, Paris & Hanoi BY A USER FROM VIETNAM June, teens, kids, culture, popular sights Preferences: June, teens, kids, culture Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 13 days in Vietnam & Bangkok BY A USER FROM INDONESIA June, culture, outdoors, relaxing, romantic, shopping, popular sights Preferences: June, culture, outdoors, relaxing, romantic, shopping Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 8 days in Hanoi BY A USER FROM VIETNAM May, teens, kids, culture, outdoors, relaxing, beaches, historic sites, museums, wildlife, popular sights Preferences: May, teens, kids, culture, outdoors, relaxing, beaches, historic sites, museums, wildlife Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 5 days in Hanoi BY A USER FROM VIETNAM May, culture, historic sites, museums, popular sights Preferences: May, culture, historic sites, museums Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium